Research shows that educating through work-based learning (wbl) programs contributes to both the intellectual and career development of high school students and often improves the educational outcomes of those students. Work-based learning is an integral part of the Virtual Enterprises experience.
In New York City, the VE Internship Program is designed to provide successful, career-minded juniors and seniors with dynamic experiential learning experiences through full-time paid internships.
Students go through a rigorous application process and are interviewed by the potential employer before being placed on the job. VE provides ongoing support to students and business partners over the course of the internship through workshops, workplace visits, and supervisory assistance.
VE interns will:
- apply classroom learning to real-life work situations;
- hone written and oral communication skills:
- fine-tune strengths, interests and aptitudes;
- become acclimated to the professional workplace; and
- expand their knowledge base of potential careers.
The Internship Process
To apply for an internship, a student must do the following:
- Email a copy of his/her resume as an attachment to Mr. Kott at email@example.com.
- Call for an appointment with Mr. Kott at 212-769-2710 x 7.
- Bring the following documents to the appointment:
- a picture ID
- a CLEAR copy of the Social Security Card
- a CLEAR copy of completed working papers
- a CLEAR copy of Permanent Resident Card, if applicable
- a copy of the student’s high school transcript.
- Next steps will be explained to you at the interview.
The Benefit to Business
The VE Internship Program offers businesses in the New York City area the unique opportunity to hire and mentor New York City public high school students. By hiring one or more VE student interns, you will join an extensive network of leading New York City businesses that have committed to becoming Business Mentors. As a Business Mentor, you gain enthusiastic, well-trained, full-time assistance, help public high school students develop invaluable workplace competencies, play a proactive role in developing our City’s future workforce, and have opportunities to network with other leading businesses. Business Mentors are also able to provide internal leadership opportunities to employees who supervise and serve as role models for VE interns.
To become a Business Mentor and provide an internship either during the school year or for six weeks during the summer, email Jack Kott, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Click Here for Business Mentor Application