2016 National Teachers Conference
The National Teachers Conference is the best way for new and returning VEI teachers and school administrators to get ready for the upcoming school year. The 2016 National Teachers Conference will be held July 11-14. 2016 at Long Island University Post Campus and will include four days of collaborative professional development, including workshops, presentations, networking, special events, and tours of LIU Post’s campus.
Please review the following details about your National Teachers Conference experience.
- Shuttle Pickups from Airports on Sunday, July 10
- On Arrival at LIU Post
- Dorm Information
- Meals & Entertainment
- Additional Notes for the Week
- Conference Program
- Contact Information
Shuttle Pickups from Airports on Sunday, July 10
- LAGUARDIA ARRIVALS: There will be shuttle buses on Sunday picking up at 11 am, 1 pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7 pm, and 9 pm.
- The shuttles will be picking up at TERMINAL D. If you are arriving at a different terminal, you can take the Purple Line airport shuttle from Terminals B & C to get to Terminal D. There will be VE staff members on site with signs to greet you and assist you with the shuttle. VE Staff Contact @ LGA – Saara Arshid (cell phone – 347-659-9646).
- JFK ARRIVALS: There will be shuttle buses on Sunday picking up at 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 5 pm and 9 pm.
- The shuttles will be picking up at TERMINAL 4. If you are arriving at a different terminal, you can take the AirTrain from any of the other terminals. There will be VE staff members on site with signs to greet you and assist you with the shuttle. VE Staff Contact @ JFK – Chi Zhang (cell phone – 347-537-7090).
- The shuttles will drop off at the LIU dorms and another drop off at the Fox Hollow Inn.
- The shuttle schedule, along with who has signed up for each shuttle, is attached to this message.
- Shuttles will be making return trips to LGA and JFK on Thursday afternoon and Friday during the day.
On Arrival at LIU Post
- When you are dropped off by bus, you will be greeted by LIU staff and given a welcome package and campus map (click here).
- If you are driving, you may park at the lot nearest the South Residence Complex (buildings 54 & 55). You will not need any specific parking passes.
- Travel directions to the campus can be found here: http://www.liu.edu/CWPost/About/Visit/Location
- If you have any questions, or need help, during your travel on Sunday please call Public Safety at 516-299-2222. A Public Safety officer will connect to you the LIU staff.
- Teachers will be staying in the South Residential Complex for the week (air conditioned!).
- Each teacher will be assigned their own room in a suite with a shared bathroom.
- Residence Life staff will be present on Sunday afternoon and evening for teachers to check-in.
- Basic linens, pillows, and towels will be provided. However, you may bring any items that will make you more comfortable.
- You will be responsible for bringing soap, shampoo and other toiletries.
Meals & Entertainment
- All meals will be provided from Monday morning through Thursday afternoon, with the exception of dinner on Tuesday.
- On Sunday and Friday, you can purchase meals at Hillwood Cafe.
- Special Dietary Restrictions: The LIU catering staff is trying to plan for any special dietary restrictions.
- Please complete the following form ONLY if you have special dietary restrictions: Dietary Request Form.
- For those that may be interested, VE teacher Christy Frye from North Carolina will be arranging a dinner at Rothman’s Steakhouse for anyone that is interested in joining. Reach out to her directly for information (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The LIU staff has scheduled evening shuttles to area activities and attractions. Shuttles will be available on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday evenings from 6pm – 11pm.
Additional Notes for the Week
- Attire: Attendees should plan to dress in business casual attire.
- Bring Your Own Device: The conference will be BYOD “bring your own device”, wireless internet will be available for all participants.
- Check-in will take place on Monday morning from 8-9 AM in the Humanities Building (building 21 on the map). You will receive your name badge and conference program outlining session times and room numbers upon registration.
- After registering you will be directed to breakfast. The conference will begin promptly at 9 AM.
- On Tuesday we will be filming some of the sessions for promotional and programmatic purposes. Please dress accordingly.
- CreatorUp is a Digital Storytelling Academy. Through their online course library, fast-track bootcamps, and custom lesson creation, they help anyone tell their story with great videos.
- Please contact us immediately in the event of any issues or major concerns
- Nick Chapman, 917-586-3036
- Saara Arshid, 347-659-9646